Friday, October 24, 2014

My First Half Marathon Experience

                 
It was over 130 days ago I signed up for my first half marathon. I had always dreamed of running more than a 5K race but never thought I could get my legs going more than 4 miles. It was that thought that actually inspired me to sign up for it. It was months away at the time and I decided if I made the commitment, I couldn't back out.

The Baystate Half and Full Marathon takes place in Lowell, MA every year. My father is a long-time runner of the Baystate and so are many of his friends. Many years we went down along the race course and waited for my dad to run by us. His last Baystate was run in 2012.

My dream was to run my first half marathon with my Dad, the man who made me the runner I am today. My first race I ever ran was when I was 12 years old. My dad trained with me and pushed me. I still ended up walking most of it and came in dead last behind a power walker. It wasn't until I got to college I really started to push myself into running. My Dad has always been my coach and inspiration. 

One thing holding back my dad has been his injuries. He has a bad back and common running injuries like to the calf and leg. It wasn't until this year though we found out he needed to have surgery on his hip in October with a 6 week recovery. He wouldn't be able to run with me like we planned.
I trained all summer running outside and at the UMass Lowell Rec Center. I made it up to 13.1 miles but race day came and I still felt like it could go great or terrible.

Sunday, October 19th 2014
My parents and boyfriend dropped me off at the race start at 7:40 am. It was a frigid 40 degrees and I was dressed in running spandex to my knees and a tank top. I knew quite a few people running the race, but couldn't see anyone I knew in the crowd of a few thousand people.

We lined up in front of Lowell High School and after the anthem, we took off.
Running the first mile was slow and exciting. Seeing thousands of people fill the streets bobbing up and down in bright colors was truly a sight. The marathoners and half marathoners were all together running for the first 3 miles so half of the street was closed for runners. I saw familiar faces along the way including the Lowell High and UMass Lowell Track teams and parents of people I knew. 

My parents and Jesse camped out at Walgreen's about 3 miles from the start right before the Rourke Bridge. Nothing was more motivating than seeing them waving and cheering for me especially when my legs got heavy.
The first loop of the race was relatively relaxing until the halfway point when I realized I had to do it all again. The hills became harder and my legs became heavier. I could feel my weight in my achilles tendons as I used my arms to push on. My parents and Jesse were waiting for me still but this time it was Mile 9 when I passed a second time. My aunt Joni joined them and it once again became easier to see the finish.

Mile 10 and 11 were probably the hardest times to get through. I was so close yet so far away. They were never ending and my legs were screaming for me to stop. I didn't though. When I hit Mile 12 and saw the "1 Mile to Go" sign, I felt a surge of energy come through me. I knew the end was near and so was my family waiting for me. I powered though and finished my first half marathon in 2:21. 

I ran this race to push myself to work hard to achieve something I thought I could never do. I know I can do anything I set my mind to now.

The big question I've been asked now is, "Are you going to do a full?"

I don't really know. I would love to run a full marathon someday. It's always been my dream to run Boston and actually have a time to qualify for it. For now, I am content with my 13.1. I know I will run again next year because looking back, it was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.
Thank you to my family and friends for all the love and support!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment